For the last few weeks, we have been using a fun geography curriculum from Let’s Go Geography and it’s been quite the adventure!
Let’s Go Geography is a downloadable subscription style geography curriculum is designed for kindergarten through fourth grade students. Each week’s focus country includes a variety of activities. The activities can be completed all in one day or could be spread across multiple days.
- Are You Ready? – Learn some basic facts about the country including size and population.
- Chapter 1: Map it! – Find and color the country on a map and identify important features (capital city, bodies of water, etc.).
- Chapter 2: The Flag – Color, cut and paste the country’s flag into your Travel Journal or passport.
- Chapter 3: The Music – Listen to the music of the country with online videos.
- Chapter 4: Let’s Explore – Go sightseeing! Learn about the country through videos and pictures.
- Chapter 5: Create! – A hands-on activity with step-by-step instructions and easy to find supplies.
- Chapter 6: Printables – Notebooking pages, additional flag pages for classroom/co-op use, coloring pages and more.
Once you purchase the curriculum (full 36 week year or one 18 week semester options), you will have access to download all included lessons immediately. Your purchase gives you a license to use the materials in your home or a single classroom. You will also receive an email each week with links to the appropriate country’s materials, as well as a couple fun little tidbits about the focus country. The weekly emails are a great way to keep you on track with the curriculum!
There are also review weeks built into the schedule for weeks 12, 24, 34, and 35. The reviews follow a similar structure to the regular weeks, but test your child’s memory of the previous weeks. For example, the flag activity has the child match the flag to the country on a labeled map rather than coloring the flags again.
How We Used Let’s Go Geography Curriculum
I used the Let’s Go Geography curriculum primarily with Monkey, although Booger would join us occasionally. We chose to spend one day a week as our “geography day” and complete all activities on that day. The map and flag activities only took a few minutes and I would usually play the music or sight seeing videos while they colored the maps.
For me, as the teacher, the best part of this geography curriculum was that it was pretty much open and go. Other than a bit of printing and gathering supplies for the craft/create activity, everything is right there. There are also suggestions for how to modify the activities for younger or older students.
Monkey’s favorite part was watching the videos; he was amazed by the aerial footage of Niagra Falls! He says that Canada is his favorite country that we have learned about so far.
This curriculum does use YouTube and other online resources. We did not run into any issues while using the program, but it is an important thing to note.
We had fun traveling through North America with the Let’s Go Geography curriculum. We will be continuing on with this program and will likely purchase years 2 and 3 when the time comes. In my opinion, the materials covered each country in a thorough, yet accessible manner.
I would recommend Let’s Go Geography to other families searching for a geography curriculum that is fun and engaging.
Connect with Let’s Go Geography on social media!
- Facebook: https://business.facebook.com/letsgogeography
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.ie/letsgogeography/
Thanks for stopping by! Want to read what other Homeschool Review Crew members have to say about Let’s Go Geography? Click the banner below!